Discord introduces Server Subscription program that let’s you earn a revenue

There is a pricing war in the video game stores. Discord has jumped into the debate, stating today that beginning in 2019, it would permit game creators to keep 90% of all sales made through the Discord Store.

Discord also intends to introduce a self-serve game publishing platform, expanding developers' access to its storefront.

discord_66kmhJ5.jpg


Developers will be able to self-publish on the Discord store with a 90% revenue share, the company said in a blog post announcing the changes. "No matter what size, from AAA to single person teams, developers will be able to self-publish on the Discord store," it said. "The remaining 10% is for operating expenses, and we'll look into reducing it by enhancing our technology and streamlining procedures.

Community servers in the US have the capability to enable subscriptions provided they meet the minimum criteria.
  1. You must be 18 years or older.
  2. Your account must be in good standing.
  3. You must have both your email and phone number verified.
  4. You must have two-factor authentication enabled.
"We will also empower developers to communicate with their players by improving Verified Servers, extending their ability to add great content to the Activity Feed, and more. We believe if we iterate and work with developers, we can reverse platform fragmentation in the game industry while connecting developers and players closer together."

For online shops, this month has been a busy one for news. Two weeks ago, Valve made the first move by announcing the addition of Steam's revenue tiers. When a game's sales reached $10 million, Valve reduced its 30% split to 25%. A game's revenue cut from Valve would drop to 20% if it reached $50 million in sales.

Being 18 years of age or older, having an active Discord account, and accepting Discord's terms and conditions are the sole requirements for qualifying for subscriptions. According to Discord, there is no requirement for the number of active users in a community or for eligibility for revenue.

Fi6bJ7xWIAEuz5L.jpeg


Creators will be able to launch one or more subscription tiers and establish their own prices. Discord is offering a much more enticing 90/10 revenue split, but it will take some time to get your money, in contrast to Twitch's much-maligned 50/50 revenue split. According to Discord’s monetization terms, users will be paid out 30 days after the end of the calendar month, meaning creators won’t see the money they’ve earned for January until March 1st. They also must accumulate at least $100 dollars to get their first payout and have at least $25 dollars earned for each subsequent monthly payout.

There is a comprehensive list of the types of content that are not permitted for monetization in the subscription policy. The standard illegal drugs and lethal weapons are on the list, along with any gambling-related content or any sexually explicit content hosted on Discord or linked from elsewhere.

Discord has established a creator portal to assist creators in beginning to monetize their servers. This portal details the new monetization model and offers advice on how users can benefit from it.
 

Reply