Filipino Dota 2 veteran Abed returns to the Philippines after over a decade: "It's always been my dream na bumalik"

Guild of Guardians
Filipino Dota 2 veteran Abed Yusop finally returns to the Philippines after being acquired by Blacklist International.

Abed_ESL_One_Kuala_Lumpur_2023.jpg

Since 2017, Abed has spent most of his time as a professional Dota 2 player in North America after joining Team Onyx and Digital Chaos at the age of 16 for a few months, leaving his former Filipino team Execration.

He later played as an import for Southeast Asian team Fnatic for two years and became popularly known in the Dota 2 professional scene.

Abed continued his career and returned to North America, joining Evil Geniuses and Shopify Rebellion. And after over a decade of playing overseas, Abed finally returned to his homeland, the Philippines.

"It's always been my dream na talagang bumalik, so the timing was right lang talaga," Abed said on Friday during the press conference for the Asia-Pacific Predator League 2024 at Sofitel.

The Dota 2 star joined the Blacklist Rivalry in November 2023 and will be participating in the Asia Pacific Predator League in 2024 along with his Filipino teammates.

According to him, he used to invite his current team during his previous squads internationally to join him, and this year is the right time for them to play as a squad.

"Ever since naman yung mga players na kakampi ko ngayon parang matagal ko na rin silang ini-invite sa mga naging previous na international teams ko,"

"And then this year feeling ko yung timing talaga nag-align sa aming mga players and eto rin talaga yung best na opportunity namin na maging teammates."

Abed also expressed his excitement about playing once again in the Philippines after a long time.

He said, "Personally, I'm excited maglaro sa Philippines this time around because the last tournament was way back in 2016, if I’m not mistaken."

"Parang medyo mas smaller pa yung tournaments at that time (2016), so mas nag-prepare kami and mas excited kami to play in the upcoming playoffs sa MOA."

Abed then explained how his experience abroad and in Blacklist Rivalry is very similar and emphasized how Asian players are loud in general in terms of the environment during practices.

The revamped roster of Blacklist Rivalry with Abed is making waves in the Predator League group stages, with an impressive record of 4-0 after taking down Malaysian team Myth Avenue Gaming, fellow Pinoy competitors Execration and ZOL Esports, and Indian team Whoops.

The Predator League playoffs are scheduled for January 13 at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.