NXPE Analyst Midnight Apologizes For Team's Misbehavior During MPL Match Against Omega Esports

Nexplay EVOS Analyst Neil "Midnight" De Guzman takes responsibility as he publicly apologize for his team's misbehavior against Omega Esports during their MPL match last week.

1634610638195.png

After a bizarre match in the final day of the regular season of the MPL Philippines Season 8, the match between Nexplay EVOS and Omega Esports caused quite a commotion on social media as both teams made questionable decisions during their said match. The MPL-PH operating committee was forced to impose strict fines and punishments on the two organizations on Tuesday, as a result of the situation. Given the contentious nature of the series, Neil "Midnight" De Guzman, an analyst for Nexplay EVOS, expressed his regrets on his official Facebook page.

"On behalf of Nexplay, EVOS, and my players, I’m here to apologize to the ML Community and to MPL for we misbehaved during one of our matches, NXPE vs OMEGA, in the league," he said on his post.

Additionally, he admitted that his team didn't take the match seriously because the team prefers to face ECHO in the play-in round and Blacklist International if NXPE manages to advance to the next round of the competition. "We didn’t take the match seriously for two reasons: 1. It didn’t matter to us whether we won the series or not. 2. Losing against OMG is an actual benefit for us as we’ll face ECHO and BLCK, a preference for our playoff matches," he explained.

He also acknowledged that he was solely responsible for the team's final decision. "At this point, the penalties have been given and served. If anyone wants to point fingers for the blame, point it at me. I’m the one who calculated the points, I’m the one who supported the idea, and I’m the one who is responsible for the team’s development. There’s no more explanation to the story, we simply finished our match for the regular season in an improper way."

While he acknowledged that he had gained valuable insight from the incident, he concluded the post by expressing his gratitude to the community and promising to give everything he has when the playoffs begin.

"Instead of retaining the championship mindset, we lost our senses midway. No matter what happens now, we’ll strive to be better. As one of my closest friend and mentor once told me, mistakes mold your success. Thank you for all the support and love you guys have given us. Apologies to those who we’ve disappointed. We’ll do and give our best in the playoffs and continue to be better, better than our past versions of ourselves."

The fans were outraged during the first and second games of the team's series against Omega, as both teams used unconventional compositions and strategies that resulted in lopsided victories for both teams. The MPL operating committee conducted an investigation and imposed severe sanctions on the two organizations for violating MPL rules.

Last edited by a moderator: