PS4 FAQ

consoleph

Newbie Gamer
Aug 4, 2018
PS4 Frequently Asked Questions

I. QUESTIONS ABOUT REGION COMPATIBILITY
II. QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR PSN(SEN) ACCOUNT
III. QUESTIONS ABOUT Playstation Plus (PS+)
IV. QUESTIONS ABOUT TECHNICAL STUFF (Routers, Updates, NAT types etc)
V. QUESTIONS ABOUT ACCESSORIES,PERIPHERALS AND GAMES
VI. ERROR CODES

I. Questions About Regions Compatibility

Q
: What are the differences of R1,R2, and R3?
A: They are based from regions R1 is for US, R2 is for EU and JP*if I'm not mistaken* and R3 is for ASIA

Q: How can I identify what region is my game? PSN credits/PS+?
A: For games you can look at the game casing on it's side you can see a small icon with a globe and a number voila you no know what region your game is, For PSN creds/PS+ You just need to check the denominations indicated in the upper right of the voucher/card :D

Q: What is the meaning of region lock?
A: It means you can't use/ redeem codes if it is not in the same region. IE if the game is R1 the codes in it should be redeemed in a R1 account. This mostly applies to DLCs and PS+

Q: What is the difference between US PS4/ ASIA PS4?
A: Aside from the accept button being X(US) and O(ASIA) I think none?

Q: Are there differences between a US and an Asian Dualshock 4?
A: Except for the price and packaging, nope, they're the same banana.

Q: From which region should I avail of a PS+ subscription?
A: The US(R1) PS Store usually offers the best PS+ content followed by the EU(R2) Store. The HK Store though allows Philippine credit cards but often lags behind the US and EU stores when it comes to free games and offers. Depends on your priorities, the best content, or accessibility. A lot of us at PS4 Philippines prefer the US Store.

Q: I bought a new game how can I identify it's region?
A1: Aside from the case of the game, you could also check the disc for it's region, you can check the serial code in the middle part called the mirror band:

R1(US)-BCUS,BLUS
R2(EU)-BLEU
R2(JP)-BCJS,BLJM
R3(ASIA)-BLAS

*if you can add more information here it would be greatly appreciated :)*

A2: Another way to quickly determine the region of your game is to check which ratings board rated the game:

If its ESRB, then your game is R1.
If its PEGI, then its R2 (Euro).
If its CERO, then its R2 (JP).
If it has ACB ratings, then its R4 (AUS).
If it has chinese characters (MDA), then its most likely R3 ;)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_content_rating_system

Q: What denomination should I use when topping up my PSN account?
A: You should use the denomination of the place where you registered(e.g. USD for US, SGD for SG, HKD for HK and so on.)

II. Questions about your PSN(SEN) Account

Q: In registering for a PSN account what address should I use?
A: You can use a made up street address but make sure that the city,state, and zipcode are correctly matched

Ex. 1234 ABCD National City CA 91950

Q: Can I change my PSN/SEN ID?
A: Sadly no :((

Q: What if I changed email address? Can I change my e-add that I use to log in my PSN / SEN ID?
A:Yes you can, and here's a link that can show you a step by step process to change your email* I think this is for the PS3 but you can also try searching for a way to do it in the PS4 it's not that hard :D http://www.ehow.com/how_7675392_change-playstation-network-email-password.html

III. Questions about Playstation Plus (PS+)

Q
: How can I avail PS+?
A: You can buy it through PSN credits, Through direct codes, or even in using credit cards

Q: How much is PS+?
A:50$ for a year, 18$ for 3 months. Just convert it to peso to have a rough estimate of the price :D

Q: Do I need Playstation Plus to play online?
A: According to Sony, YES, OO, OPO

Q: Is PS+ worth it?
A: Aside from it's now needed to play online, It also features free games every month, discounts so I say YES

Q: Where can I get Playstation Plus?
A: Local videogame retailers, IE: Datablitz, iTech and more just ask them, And there are some independent distributor just check their feedbacks first to make sure that the seller is legit ;)

Q: Do the free games from PS+ expire?
A: Yes and No, Yes it expires in a sense that when you're PS+ expires you can't access the game anymore. No in a sense that when you renew you're PS+ you can use/ play the free games again :D. The games that you bought with discounts does not count it's yours forever.

Q: Does PS+ membership/subscription stack?
A: Yes.

Q: Is the free trial of PS+ included in the PS4 package really free?
A: Yes, but for R1 users you need a credit card to redeem the code. But be sure to check it after the trial period because you may be charged for the incoming months/ year for that ps+ sub(this applies to R1 PSN) :D

IV. Questions about Technical Stuff (Routers, Internet, NAT Types, Updates etc)

Q: How to change NAT type?
A: We would advise changing your router settings, putting the IP of your console in DMZ, Port forwarding and even adjusting your firewall, If you're interested just google it. it's going to be too long to explain it here :D

Q: Can I update my PS4 directly to the current update?
A: Yes :3

Q: When my PS4 is in standby mode does it still download/upload my games/videos/images?
A: Yes :)

Q: What does NAT Type 3 mean?
A: As stated by one of our admins Karlo in the forums:
1) NAT 3 means some, if not all, of your ports (which communicate with necessary things over the interwebs) is not open. This can range from connection servers or voice comms but put simply you're not connecting to the world like you're supposed to.

2) Usually, you can only connect to people with NAT 3 connections to. Some games allow this, some do not (as in you can't play online). If you can connect, then expect some headaches when it comes to voice comms (Kunyari ako NAT 2, hindi ko maririnig or makakausap ang naka NAT 3 sa party chat most of the time)

3) Search about port forwarding for your router and other stuff like setting your PS4 in a DMZ. Its all kind of complicated stuff but a lot of people have this problem so info is easy to find on the net. I just gave you where to start looking

So yeah, hope you get your NAT problem figured out. Here is a solution a member that helped me, but you may be lost if you haven't done what I suggested above yet.

Nat type 3/Failed solution for Globe

PC to globe modem (Direct)
access nyo "192.168.1.1/globe" or "192.168.254.1/globe" depende kung ano ung IP address nung modem.
username: Admin
password: 3UJUh2VemEfUtesEchEC2d2e

> Advance -> Wan Settings -> click Pencil icon -> Bridge Section (choose Bridge PPPoE) -> Apply changes -> click modify -> click select -> channel mode (choose Bridge 1483) -> Apply changes.
Plug your router
PC - Globe Modem - Router
Mac/Ubuntu user: open terminal then type ifconfig
Windows: open CMD then type ipconfig
look for default gateway. ex. 192.168.2.1 (router's ip)

tawagan nyo ung globe hotline tanong nyo ung username and password nung internet ex. (username: [email protected], password: *******)
sa web browser type nyo ung IP ng router.

Internet WAN (WAN Settings) -> Connection Type -> choose PPPoE -> input your internet username and password (username: [email protected], password: *******) -> Apply changes.

ADD: By doing the method above (Called bridge mode), you effectively disable all functions of globe's modem except for its signal pass through. The router will then function as your modem and router giving you full control of your ports etc cutting globe out of the equation. Well yun ang pagkakaintindi ko XD Dahil diyan wala man ako static IP or DMZ pero NAT 2 na ko

Q: What is NAT, or Network Address Translation, and why can't I play online because mine is 'strict'?
A: This answer is from: https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200148936-Understanding-how-NAT-types-affect-online-connectivity

NAT types and what they mean

NAT Types:
  1. Open
  2. Moderate
  3. Strict
  • Open NATs can connect to any of the three types. --> Probably the least common type
  • Moderate can only connect to open and moderate. --> Probably the most common type
  • Strict can ONLY connect to open.
Strict NATs are a difficult problem with peer-to-peer games. Since most people don't have open NATs, the player with a strict NAT won't be able to find many joinable games.

Also, if the player with a strict NAT does manage to join a game, f another player with a moderate NAT joins later, the player with the strict NAT gets kicked out.

The problem is even worse since it is sometimes difficult for software (i.e. Games for Windows Live) to detect which NAT type it is running behind, and can often report that the player has a moderate NAT when they actually have a strict NAT.

Another problem is that sometimes the ISP (Internet Service Provider) is also NAT'd which often means even if you have a direct connection to the internet (without a router/firewall), the ISP still acts as a strict NAT.

These are some recommendations for getting a better NAT type: The following ports must be available to your PC:
  • TCP 80
  • UDP 88
  • TCP 3074
  • UDP 3074
  • TCP 53
  • UDP 53
Here are some additional tips that have helped many players improve their connectivity:

1. Make sure your router's firmware is upgraded the latest version (very important).
2. Unplug your router for 10 minutes and plug it back in. Some older routers degrade in performance over time until it is rebooted, similar to a PC.
3. Disable any firewall or other network filtering for the game.
4. Enable uPnP (universal plug and play) on your router.
5. If you don't care about security, enable DMZ (de-militarized zone) on your router for your PC's address. This turns off all of your router's firewall features for that specific PC.
6. Get a router that has the "Xbox LIVE compatible" or "Certified for Windows Vista" logo.
7. Contact your ISP and ask them what your DNS setting should be.

Q: My PS4 keeps on auto ejecting my discs! What can I do?
A: "Guys, pull off the rubber foot at the bottom of te eject button. That is your problem. When it is warm it will trigger the system even if u were to stand up in a room and it was barely touched. The rubber piece touches the eject button and it doesn't stop touching it, meaning it will beep continuously. This rubber footer is easy to put back on, but there is no need. I haven't had a problem since I did this, and, it was happening to me daily before I did this. Also, after u remove this, go into standby mode and update system software via internet."

*Also you can try unplugging your system after a complete shutdown then put it on a vertical position.

One of our members also suggested another tip please click the link below

TIP: the playstation community also has info regarding this problem just check the link belowhttp://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/INFO-Issues-with-ejecting-PS4-discs/td-p/42133811

Q: I'm having problems capturing videos in the share button! It keeps on recording different gameplays! What to do?!
A: It's a known issue with the share button, that being said you can try using this tips posted in the link below:

http://community.us.playstation.com...ay-Issue-investigation/m-p/42366739#U42366739

To sum it up just press the share button after playing a few minutes and hopefully the next succeeding shares will be spot on!

Q: Is the ps4 autovoltage? meaning 110-220v?
A: Yes, it is several articles are posted in the net, and we have members here not using voltage regulators for their US PS4

Q: What's the difference between different regions of PS4?
A: Technically there are no diffrences just x and o accept button in r1 and r3, then warranties that's just it.

Q: Is it already adviseable to buy the PS4? I'm hearing a lot of problems lately about the console.
A: I don't know if you've read that last year or what but the console stocks are pretty reliable right now just minor gripes and you can easily use the warranty if you have problems you can buy the console right now if you want specially if you would like to play a game in it but you can also wait either way it depends in your decision if you really need/want it. For me it's worth it.

V.Questions about Accessories, Peripherals, and Games

Q
: Does the old 5.1 / 7.1 Headsets work in PS4?
A: Right now Yes!!! Thank you 1.6 firmware update :3

Q: What does it mean when the code for dlc is "used"?
A: It means what it's trying to say used means used in tagalog gamit na you can't redeem it anymore.

Q: What is E3?
A: Electronic Entertainment Expo diyan madalas ginagawa yung announcements and reveals ng game or other gaming related stuff

VI. Error Codes

Q: I've encountered this error code what does it mean?
A: Link to PS4 Error Codes

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5111

This space is open for more questions :D and hope we have the answers as well ;)-help us tag those people who are in need of answers! , thaaaankkkksss

*here's a link for more info about the error codes

P.S.: If we missed out on any other questions, you can try Sony's Ultimate PS4 FAQ located here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Last edited by a moderator: